Sunday, December 20, 2009

more before and afters of some of my creations...

I had this fabulous idea to MAKE a desk/cabinet area in this little nook upstairs in our loft. I once again went to habitat for humanity and found some treasures.

Here's ALL the BEFORE's of what turned into the cabinets and desk:

#1. EMPTY NOOK. BEFORE

the blank slate
#2. Part of the cabinet side. This piece had to be cut to size to fit the extra space on the left side of the cabinet and painted $ 5.oo at goodwill
#3. the original cabinet. this started as an 18'' deep floor cabinet that I saw potential in being a good hiding place for all of our electrical components and wires to be hung on the wall. It was so heavy. We were afraid it was going to fall off the wall. Barry put lot and lots of screws to hold this baby up.
#4. originally a piece of a bathroom cabinet. to be the desk drawers- sanded, painted, new knobs and shortened. I took a hack saw to the kick board to make it desk height.
#5. desk top started as a blue HUGE laminate counter top which needed to be custom cut to fit our space then it got a great decoupage treatment. The nice guy at habitat for humanity gave me all three of these pieces for $50.00 (believe me custom cabinets are WAY WAY more expensive.)
ADD these all together with a table saw, sander, paint, glue, paper, screws and a lot of elbow grease and get something LOVELY!


HALF WAY DONE
I added a classic front by adding molding to the cabinet doors and paint. Here it is hung. At this point still needs the side shelves and molding

BEFORE




AFTER


started as #4
this started as #3 and #2
started as #5

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

So IMPRESSIVE!!! What cute decor.

nksmith0512 said...

You seriously are amazing! I am so impressed! Your husband is a lucky guy!!!

emily said...

Oh dang how i appreciate a good before and after...this looks great....i love habitat for humanity. Even more I love people with creative minds like me that walk around daily with a new idea brewing constantly... well done my friend.

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Lisa!! Hi!! :) I was blog stalking and came across yours!! I know it's kinda late and I heard through the grape vine that you were getting married but I didn't know it was to Barry!! I remember him, he was in my old ward for a bit!! Congrats! :) You guys are super cute together and it's great to see you so happy!!

P.S. You look gorgeous in your wedding pics!!!

Josh and Megan said...

Are you kidding me? How awesome! I LOVE it! One sweet day I will see it all in person!

Tiffanie White said...

wow Lisa! That looks awesome! I love it and so creative... Keep posting pictures of the things you do :) After seeing what it was before and what it will become is FUN :)

Jen said...

Lisa, I seriously need your imagination. When do you want to come over and do some stuff for my house???? I love your guts, little summer squash!!

mommy said...

Wow. You are so ambitious. I love it.

Lindsey said...

I had no idea you had so much decorating talent. I am impressed.

Shelley said...

I guess I didn't know you posted this, it turned out sooo cute! I have to admit, you are pretty amazing! You never cease to amaze me! Great job, sweetie!!